Fri, Jul 28|
Evidence-Based Aquatic Therapy for Balance Disorders and Fall Risk: Adult Ortho & Neuro Applications
This is a 3 hour LIVE online class. Attend this class from the comfort of your own home, or office!
Time & Location
Jul 28, 2023, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
About the event
This 3-hour live webinar is designed to rapidly introduce both therapists and trainers to evidence-based treatment ideas for patients at fall risk. Participants will be taught a series of aquatic therapeutic movements, tasks, or exercises designed to address complaints associated with both orthopedic and neurological populations and then adapt these ideas to novel situations. Participants will examine research which supports aquatic therapy and explore contraindications, including prevailing precaution myths.
At the end of the training, participants will be able to:
- Describe 2-3 contraindications and/or precautions related to aquatic therapy for this population.
- Given a specific case, write a short statement of medical necessity showing the need for aquatic therapy for a patient with a risk of falls.
- Locate 5 systematic reviews from the last 5 years which justify the use of aquatic therapy for balance and fall prevention
- List 3 reasons that therapy may be considered safer to perform when performed in an aquatic medium.
- Describe at least 5 aquatic exercises designed to improve balance and/or decrease fall risk.
- Describe a systematic technique to progress most aquatic activities or tasks from a lower level of intensity to a higher level of intensity.
Andrea Salzman, MS, PT graduated from the University of Alabama at Birmingham with a Masters degree in physical therapy. Salzman is the Founder and Owner of the Aquatic Resources Network, the largest multidisciplinary clearinghouse of information on aquatic therapy. She currently serves as Director of Aquatic Therapy University and has assisted hundreds of facilities during the start-up and training phases of their aquatic practice. Salzman has received the highest honor given to an aquatic physical therapist from the American Physical Therapy Association, the Judy Cirullo Leadership Award. She has been listed in Who's Who for Aquatics multiple times over the years. Over her career, she has served as: • Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Aquatic Physical Therapy • Manager, Regions Hospital Therapy Pool • Adjunct Faculty, College of St. Catherine’s PT program • Functional Design Consultant; Aquatic Therapy Facilities • ARN Database Creator, 19,000 aquatic professionals • Aquatic Health Research Database (AHRD) Creator, 8000 abstracts and growing • Author, 5 aquatic therapy-related texts • Monthly columnist, Aquatics International, Advance for PTs, Onsite Fitness, AusMed and other trade magazines
There is no conflict of interest in the training. There are no products endorsed or sold.
- Ticket type
+$2.25 service fee+$2.25 service feeSale ended